Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Top tunes on my iPod in August, 2009




1. Paul McCartney / Summertime
2. Vanessa Paradis / As Tears Go By
3. Keisuke Kuwata / MERRY X'MAS IN SUMMER
4. Ryuichi Sakamoto / Lost Theme
5. Ryuichi Sakamoto / Yamasaki 2002
6. The Beach Boys / Kokomo (from "Cocktail" Soundtrack)
7. Ryuichi Sakamoto / to stanford
8. Ryuichi Sakamoto / Bring them home
9. Southern All Stars / Taiyo wa tsuminayatu
10. JUDY AND MARY / DAYDREAM
11. L<->R / NOW THAT SUMMER IS HERE
12. Ryuichi Sakamoto / ice
13. Bach, J.S. / Inventions No.14(Takahiro Sonoda)
14. Flipper's Guitar / Wild Summer
15. Ryuichi Sakamoto / aqua
16. Bach, C.P.E. / Wurttem Sonata No.1-3(Glenn Gould)
17. The Beach Boys / Sloop John B (Stereo Mix)
18. Flipper's Guitar / Southbound Excurtion
19. The Script / Before The Worst
20. The Script / Talk You Down
21. Ryuichi Sakamoto / glacier


Most of these tunes except Ryuichi Sakamoto are the results of my playlist I made for this summer.

I listened to No.1 again and again, because this cover version reflects this laziness of summer well. Many people may recommend Janis Joplin's cover version of "Summertime" and I admit it is good, however, I feel Janis' fire-like version surpasses "laziness" – I can't remeber that this song's original is a lullaby when I listen to Janis' version – So I didn't select Janis'.

Napping is my favorite. In particular, in summer. Summer napping which gets rid of my tiredness with sweat is a pleasure of life, I think. However, I had always felt loneliness after waking up after napping before I married. It is a feeling of deep isolation like being alone in the world, though the sun was high and shining and neighboring kids were laughing outside. No.2 reminds me of those feelings of isolation nowadays. I usually never feel such isolation since being married. I am reminded of this not by the original version, but by Vanessa's version. Her singing recalls the loneliness of summer afternoons. So this song is a summer song for me.

The Beach Boys made many summer songs, but No.17 is included in an album which is one of their "most unlike summer" albums, "Pet Sounds". I don't understand why I selected this tune for my summer playlist. Maybe because the song's promotion film described that the members played in the pool.

I'll be fond of making a new summer playlist for next summer.

No comments: